Taylor Swift has moonwalked past Michael Jackson's record at the 2019 American Music Awards, taking home six honours including artist of the year and artist of the decade.
The pop star, who walked into the show with 23 AMAs, surpassed the King of Pop's 24 wins at the fan-voted show. She rambled onstage as she won the final award of the night - artist of the year - and repeatedly thanked her fans for always showing up - during both the good and bad times.
"This year has been a lot of good, a lot of really complicated, so behalf of my family and me, thank you so much for being there and caring," said Swift, who now has 29 AMAs.
It was a family affair at the AMAs: Swift's father and teary-eyed mum sang along as the singer performed a medley of her hit songs - a performance Swift said in a Nov 15 social media post was put in jeopardy by Scott Borchetta and Scooter Braun, the owners of her master recordings.
She didn't mention the men during her acceptance speeches at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles, but this did thank her new label for allowing her to freely express herself as an artist.
"This album really felt like a new beginning, and I also really love my record label, Universal and Republic. Monte Lipman, Lucian Grainge, thank you for being so generous to me and allowing me to make whatever music I want to make," Swift said after winning favourite pop/rock album for Lover, her first album not released on Borchetta's Big Machine Label Group. "As a songwriter it's so thrilling to me that I get to keep doing that."
Swift's other wins include favourite female pop/rock artist, favourite adult contemporary artist and favourite music video for You Need to Calm Down.
Other big winners at the AMAs included Khalid and BTS - neither act attended the show but won three prizes.
Billie Eilish picked up two awards - new artist of the year and favourite alternative artist. She also took the stage - surrounded by fire - to perform her song, All the Good Girls Go to Hell.
Lizzo, who was nominated for three honours but walked away empty handed, screamed at the top of her lungs while performing the ballad Jerome, one of several songs from her album that earned her a leading eight Grammy nominations.
Christina Aguilera was a vocal powerhouse when she took the stage alongside A Great Big World and rock icon Ozzy Osbourne - who has been recovering from a bad fall that took place earlier this year - was a highlight as he performed with Post Malone and Travis Scott.
Shania Twain closed the night with a memorable performance. Other nostalgic performances included Toni Braxton and Green Day.
Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello heated up the stage as they stood close together while singing Senorita, staring in each other's eyes as they sang from one microphone at times. They even rubbed noses at the end.
The pair won collaboration of the year for their No. 1 hit song.
Other winners included Dan + Shay, Halsey and Lil Nas X. Top nominee Post Malone took home favourite rap/hip-hip album for Hollywood's Bleeding and Carrie Underwood was appropriately teary-eyed as she won favourite country album for Cry Pretty.
Selena Gomez kicked off the AMAs as Swift and Halsey got out of their seats to cheer their pal on. R&B singer Ciara hosted the show, which aired live on ABC in the US.
The full list of winners is as follows:
- Artist of the year: Taylor Swift
- New artist of the year: Billie Eilish
- Collaboration of the year: Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello, Senorita
- Favourite pop/rock female artist: Taylor Swift
- Favourite pop/rock male artist: Khalid
- Favourite pop/rock duo or group: BTS
- Favourite pop/rock song: Halsey, Without Me
- Favourite pop/rock album: Taylor Swift, Lover
- Favourite rap/hip-hop artist: Cardi B
- Favourite rap/hip-hop song: Lil Nas X featuring Billy Ray Cyrus, Old Town Road
- Favourite rap/hip-hop album: Post Malone, Hollywood's Bleeding
- Favourite soul/R&B female artist: Beyonce
- Favourite soul/R&B male artist: Bruno Mars
- Favourite soul/R&B song: Khalid, Talk
- Favourite soul/R&B album: Khalid, Free Spirit
- Favourite country female artist: Carrie Underwood
- Favourite country male artist: Kane Brown
- Favourite country duo or group: Dan + Shay
- Favourite country song: Dan + Shay, Speechless
- Favourite country album: Carrie Underwood, Cry Pretty
- Favourite alternative rock artist: Billie Eilish
- Favourite adult contemporary artist: Taylor Swift
- Favourite Latin artist: J Balvin
- Favourite contemporary inspirational artist: Lauren Daigle
- Favourite electronic dance music artist: Marshmello
- Favourite social artist: BTS
- Favourite music video: Taylor Swift, You Need to Calm Down
- Artist of the decade: Taylor Swift
- Tour of the year: BTS
- Favourite soundtrack: Bohemian Rhapsody
- Source: News websites